f

5 Things

Friday, April 29, 2005

A Life On The Stage

5 Things About SCO's 2005 Performance of La Traviata

1. I went to see it last night. This is the group with whom I have sung twice (in The Mikado & Eugene Onegin), but I had to drop out of this production due to illness, mugging and the Naomi Awards (longer story). Last night was the opening night, so Alex and I headed north to Southgate to witness the spectacle.

2. It was actually rather good, with the second half much better than the first. In (quite a few) places the singing wasn't quite in time with the orchestra and there were some misplaced tambourine rattles, but it was beautifully staged, acted, (on the whole) sung and gave me geniune tingles. I was quite jealous that I wasn't taking part! There's always Die Fledermaus this autumn.

3. There was a double cast, and unfortunately we picked the wrong night to go, as we missed Lee Mason in the part of Violetta. I have a sneaky suspicion that she would have been much better than the star of last night's show. She has a stunning voice.

4. There were quite a lot of old people in the audience who insisted on singing along. This was quite funny. At first.

5. The wine served (in plastic beakers) during the interval was de-icer with food colouring.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:36 am, Blogger Lebar said…

    Hhhmmmmm de-icer. Deleeeshus! I seem to recall such delights from coming to see the lovely Eugene Onegin. My the Mikado, we had cleverly remembered not to bother.

     
  • At 1:13 pm, Blogger Julia said…

    I remember hearing an elderly voice join in with "La Donna e Mobile" in Rigoletto a few years ago at a rivettingly dark WNO production. Does put you off.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home