f

5 Things

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Let's Go On With The Show!

5 Things About Die Fledermaus

1. Last night was the final performance of the Southgate College Opera production of Die Fledermaus. We've been rehearsing since September - a very short rehearsal time - and had an almost sold-out three-night run in Potters Bar. The company actually made a profit - woohoo!

2. I had someone I knew in the audience every night, which was great, and really helps me enjoy it and do my best. Four-dates Robbie came along on Thursday with his 16 year-old brother (bless), Izzy, JP & Alice on Friday and Ma, Pa, Lizzie and Aron loyally drove up from Somerset yesterday and arrived on time, despite being messed around by the trains from Southgate.

3. The show is extremely silly, with one of the worst and most pointless plots, full of cross-dressing, mistaken identity and flirtatious behaviour. There was an extremely misguided bit added in in the third act with a female-impersonator dressed as a German jailer who, for reasons none of us could work out, crawled along the stage like a dog. Oh, so very wrong. The rest of the show managed to be quite funny and move along at a good pace.

4. I quite enjoy being props lady. I get to rush around organising everyone and very visibly working hard. It means I get to hang around by the wings during the show watching the principles do their solos, and it's a great way of avoiding the 'get out', the day after the final show where everyone goes along to tidy up the theatre. I just couldn't face going back up there today!

5. I really love getting dressed up and prancing about like a fool singing my head off. Despite this, I'm overjoyed it's over and I am not going to do the next production. It's hugely time-consuming (particularly with doing props as well) and is such a long way from home in Brixton! I don't know what I was thinking, joining a company in Southgate! The problem is, I don't want to join another group now because I like everyone and anyway, they might make me do an audition.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:18 pm, Blogger Julia said…

    You just looked so elegant and snooty. And you dance a dream....

     
  • At 12:57 am, Blogger Colonel Throgmorton P. Wallop-Wallop III (rtrd) said…

    Noooo, you can't leave us!....

    How about just enjoy the singing and prancing around and pass the props torch onto someone else?

    On the other hand, the 60's review is going to be cheese on toast with extra cheese please, but still good fun :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home